Бенгальские котята в Казахстане Далматины ЯБЛОНЕВЫЙ ЦВЕТ Журнал МОЯ СОБАКА Среднеазиаты ХАНУМ БАЙРАМ ЭКС ФЛЭШ ФОКС питомник колли и КО
Текущее время: 20 ноя 2018, 21:54

Часовой пояс: UTC + 6 часов

Автор Сообщение
 Заголовок сообщения: Сommentary on the new Dalmatian standard (30.05.2011)
СообщениеДобавлено: 15 май 2012, 00:43 

Natalya Drovossekova, Almaty, Kazakhstan
President of Dalmatian Club of Kazakhstan
Dalmatian kennel since 1999 YABLONEVI TCVET (appledals.com)
FCI Judge all rounder

COMMENTARY ON
the new Dalmatian Standard of 30.05.2011

FCI published the new version of standard N153 at its official site in the middle of June. This version was prepared by Croatia, country of Dalmatian origin. Later Dalmatian club of Croatia made comment on the standard in English. According to them Dalmatian comes from the "group of the hounds from Illyricum".
At the moment WAFDAL prepares its own comment for the standard and I would like to give my remarks and questions (taking in mind the standard itself and comment of Croatian colleagues) to do this document more clear for experts and breeders.

General appearance and proportions:
First of all the new standard has lots of exact figures about proportions and angulations, namely:
Length of the body: height at the withers = 10 : 9.
The height at the elbow joint: 50% of the height at the withers.
Length of head: around 40% of the height at the withers.
Length of skull : length of muzzle = 1 : 1 or 1 : 0,9.
Croup inclined less than 30°.
The depth of the chest should be 45-50% of the height to the withers.
The shoulder angle is around 115-120˚.
the angle of the hock is around 130°.
The lower thigh is inclined at an angle of 40°.
The length of the hocks is around 20-25% of the height to the withers.

Authors of standards mentioned the next points:
lighter braccoid dog type;
a head of prismatic form,
slightly divergent lines of the skull and of the muzzle;
folded ears;
soft dip on the back -
as typical features of hounds from the Mediterranean area.

Taking in mind all above I drawn an “ideal dalmatian”.

Изображение

Изображение

This outlines differs very much out of outlines of the best specimens of the breed we get used to see as ring’s winners.
FCI Standards of different breeds content drawings of “ideal dog” (including standards of sought hounds). It would be helpful to have a drawing of Dalmatian in standard.

Head
Shape and lines. Head is “of prismatic form”. From math we know different types of prisms (see picture), all of them have the same bases and other faces (always parallelograms).

Изображение

I hardly can imagine the head of prismatic form, especially because they say below that “the lines of the skull and of the muzzle are slightly divergent”.
Divergence of lines is typical treat for the breed according the new standard we should seek for. Convergence is disqualifying fault. Should we conclude that parallel lines of skull and muzzle are incorrect today and have to be penalised?
Eyes. The shape of eyes is changed, in new standard they are oval and placed at an angle of 10-15˚.
Ears. We read in comment about “folded ears”. According to “Canine Terminology” by H.Spira «Folded ears: pendent or drop ears in which the lobes hang in longitudinal folds rather than lying perfectly flat». What kind of ear “the new Dalmatian” has?
It should be very useful to have in WAFDAL’s comment drawings of head from front/side/above position.

Pigment
Lack of pigment of nose is a disqualifying fault. But term “lack of pigment” can be understood in different way – from total lack to lack of small area. In Croatian comment we learn clear explanation: “Pronounced depigmentation is to be penalised. Complete depigmentation of the nose results in disqualification”. In the new standard they pay more attention to good pigment in general – colour of eyes, pigment of nose. Maybe the new standard have to pay the same attention to eye rims’ pigment and penalise for its’ lack the same way?

Bite and teeth
Bite. Phrase “A pincer bite is tolerated for older dogs” may be interpreted anyhow. What age should reach “older” dogs? It should be clarified, or we will have problems in ring in judging and showing.
Teeth. “A lack of any other single tooth: incisor, canine or molar (with exception of M3), results in disqualification”. I have never seen and even heard about 5-incisor born Dalmatian. But sometimes dogs can lose incisor by injury. In my country dogs must have show’s evaluation to be used in breeding. We can’t exclude nice sire/dam from breeding program only because of missing incisor. I suppose that missing of incisor should not be penalised strictly (if there is room for the 6th tooth and bite can be identified), especially in veteran class.

Spotting
The term “symmetrically” is used in the new standard and comment for describing of spotting. This word means total identity of left and right parts. For example “symmetrical markings on the head” etc.
I hope the new standard means “symmetrically” as “as well distributed as possible”.

About the new standard

Remarks regarding some terms and descriptions are details and can be explained in comment with easy – pigment, shape of eyes and ears, spotting, teeth, bite…
But there is something very important in the new standard! We are given the new type of Dalmatian, maybe different dog – Dalmatian as Illyricum hound with typical treats of this breed group: lighter braccoid dog type; slightly divergent lines of the skull and of the muzzle;
folded (?) ears; soft dip on the back, open front angulation.
I don’t know countries and kennels who breed this type of Dalmatians, though spending a lot of time surfing on internet, looking through thousands of dalmatians in the whole world and learning stock, litters, show results etc, reading periodical issues and books.
I suppose that authors of the new standard offer us to leave behind 100-150 years of breeding and start to revive a dog from old paintings. I don’t think dalmatian breeders will be happy with this idea.
The same as breeders of shar-pei, for example, if Chinese kennel club says them to destroy modern dog and revive the old type of Chinese shar pei. Or breeders of afghan hound who breed a dog totally different from aboriginal afghan dog and know that one day they will have to stop breeding modern type.

Вернуться наверх

Часовой пояс: UTC + 6 часов